Friday, May 24, 2013

You Are Not Alone

This is my command—be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid or discouraged. For the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.” (Joshua 1:9 NLT)

Michael Jackson's last number one hit song before he died (composed by R. Kelly) is the inspiration for today's title because, though it was written with a different subject in mind, it captures the spirit of what God told Joshua in our text. God wanted to assure Joshua that no matter what he faced and where he went, he would never have to be alone. God's presence would always go with him.

Oftentimes, all we need to be bold and courageous is to know that we are not alone and that someone with power and authority is with us and on our side. A little child is suddenly able to defy a bully because daddy is present. Friends become bolder when in a company. Even animals stay in packs for added security. There is comfort in knowing that you have powerful company.

Yet despite the comfort that human company can provide it still has a limitation. There are places no one can go with you. No matter how much comfort you can derive from humans there would be times when no one is around. There will be times in life when no friend, pastor, spouse or family members are around. You will have to face that interview alone or fight that court battle alone. There will be times when you are the only one in battle with your thoughts and challenges, facing temptations with no human help in sight.

However, while human assistance and company are limited by space and time, God's is not. He told Joshua he would be with him WHEREVER he went. No exception.

The psalmist captures this boldness that comes from God's presence when he said, "Even when I walk through the darkest valley, I will not be afraid, for you are close beside me. Your rod and your staff protect and comfort me." (Psalms 23:4 NLT)

The Lord Jesus, while commissioning us to continue is work on earth added the comforting clause of presence. "...And be sure of this: I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” (Matthew 28:20 NLT)

God is present with you. He has promised never to leave you or abandon you. There is no depth or height that his presence does not reach. He is there at your lowest point and there when you face towering obstacles. There is no required task of yours that his strength is not available for. Today, choose to be conscious of his ever-abiding presence. Ever be reminded that he is always there with you-that you are not alone.

Decision of the Day

I choose to be aware of God's ever abiding presence in my life. I live with boldness always and confront life's challenges knowing that he is always with me to put me over. Greater is he that is in me that he that is in the world.

1 comment:

  1. I remember your company just like yesterday , After 21 years it seems the old Big brother routine is back, I must note that during those times which was mostly spent in discussing issues with the Kingdom of God , the school we attended and a times Academic stuff , especially Science Physics and Chemistry in particular I recall.
    They were great memories , I still haven't accomplish my goal, and I 'll understand if you might be wondering what happened to you, but like I said in my earlier post, most accomplishments in life are done via the Grace of God, for those who walk in his path and believe that he is the I am that I am , and rely solely on him for favors and being raised up.
    I',glad up are doing well , you've done well and achieved alot by looking at your profile and you've always shown tendency that you'll be an achiever , My mother is in the States also and asks for you but I never knew you were in the states , I'm honored to reconnect with you .
    I need to get my patience and attention span in check , so I can write a meaning Essay on my next post which I will do soon, like you said in one of your devotional , writing ought to become a habit, just like reading and consistency those help thus that is what I intend to do.
    Olumide.

    ReplyDelete