Tuesday, May 21, 2013

What's Dripping From Your Lips?



Keep this Book of the Law always on your lips; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful. (Joshua 1:8 NIV)

It's quite embarrassing to hear someone tell you that something is dripping from your lips. That's something associated with babies. But you know that every time you speak, figuratively speaking, something is dripping from your lips. It is invisible to all but it is not without effect. The question is what types of words do you allow to come out of your mouth? Are they words that inspire you or others? Words that create, build up or tear down? And in the spirit of today's text, are they words that originate in God's word with the ability to precipitate success in your life and mission.

There are too many verses in the bible about the power and effects of words that to argue that your words do not matter is gross unbelief in the wisdom of scriptures. The book of Proverbs is a catalog of such verses. A sample:

Wise words satisfy like a good meal; the right words bring satisfaction. The tongue can bring death or life; those who love to talk will reap the consequences. (Proverbs 18:20, 21 NLT)

Those who guard their mouths and their tongues keep themselves from calamity. (Proverbs 21:23 NIV)

Some people make cutting remarks, but the words of the wise bring healing. (Proverbs 12:18 NLT)

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. (Ephesians 4:29 NIV)

God told Joshua keep the law on his lips day and night. His mouth was to continually drip the word, muttering to himself and speaking to others things that are only in line with the word of God. God said in essence, "if you allow my words to continually drip out of your mouth, success will keep dripping all around you, circumstances or oppositions notwithstanding" The converse is also true. Whatever your let drip from your mouth will eventually drip all over your life. Check your life. If you like it, keep your mouth dripping the same things. If you don't, then it's time to change what's dripping from your lips.

Decision of the Day

I understand the power of words. I choose today to fill my mouth with God's word. I chose to speak edifying, helping, gracious and empowering words. God's word will not depart from my mouth.



1 comment:

  1. I'm Happy you are still a Christian, the first time I got converted in School or was introduced to becoming a Born again Christian was through you.
    During does times it was really difficult because I thought I did just to please you and really didn't understand the spiritual benefits and the the progression in life I would get making such a commitment with God.
    I was ashamed and eventually fell of the rails , because I did not have the standing foundation with the word of God, it is O.k to convert , but staying converted is another thing , the consistency and the principles living and walking as a Christian, reading and meditating on the word of God.
    When I travelled or prior to travelling my mother introduced me to a pentecostal Church, and when she did at the time , I already Had a girlfriend and was fornicating , it really wasn't the poor girls fault but mine, she loved me and I did her, and because of peer pressure and wanting to prove I was mature things happened, and since then I lived my life as I wanted and didn't keep my promise made to God when I converted , When I travelled back to the U.K , I even became more notorious and things got even worst for me because , I believed that whatever I would become was down to my hard work and Knowhow not so at all , it is by the Grace of God we get where we get to in life, and after all my bad experiences I realized that if I had changed or kept to the covenant I made with God earlier in my things , things would have turned out greater than they are right now, but I give glory to God that I am a Christian ,and that God within the Love he has for me gave me another chance , to change and diligently serve him.

    ReplyDelete