Thursday, May 9, 2013

You are God's Method


After the death of Moses the Lord ’s servant, the Lord spoke to Joshua son of Nun, Moses’ assistant. He said, “Moses my servant is dead. Therefore, the time has come for you to lead these people, the Israelites, across the Jordan River into the land I am giving them. (Joshua 1:1, 2 NLT)


The explosion in technological development taking place today is driven by the constant search within the human heart for better methods of doing things. The phonograph was a great method of recording music until the vinyl disc came along, until the magnetic tape, on an on until this digital revolution of downloaded music stored in bits. Businesses and organizations are constantly searching for better methods of accomplishing their missions, leading to a deluge of how to books, conferences and seminars. However, in the midst of this constant search for new methods by humans, God has stuck to one method of carrying out his purposes on earth. He has neither reinvented nor re-innovated. His method has always been and still is to use humans.

Like E.M bounds said, " Men are God's method." Of all that God has at his disposal: archangels, cherubim, seraphim, all the animal kingdom, the vast hosts of creation and even the ability to create new beings if he so chooses, God in carrying out his purpose on earth has chosen humans as his method. God has chosen to use humans for accomplishing his will on the earth and he will not bypass them. All other resources, like angels, are merely backups for his chosen men and women.

In our text today, we see God beckoning to another man he had prepared after the passing of another. God didn't put it this way but it does no injustice to the passage to render what he said to Joshua this way, "Moses, my former partner has done his part and finished his work, now I need you to join me in accomplishing my will. I need you to lead my people to the land I promised them. I need you to be bold because without you, I will be unable to do this. I need you to be my partner in bringing this promise I made to Abraham to fulfillment."

So, it is not sacrilegious to say God was dependent on Joshua. If Joshua had said no or failed, God would have has to find another human because humans are his methods.

If we extrapolate this thought to you- to today. Could it be possible that God is depending on you for something today? Could an important agenda of his be hinged on your obedience and performance. Could there be a people he needs you to lead, a word he needs you to speak, a touch he needs you to convey, a thing he needs you to build? If scriptures are reliable, we can dare say, there is.
Some time today, there is something God is depending on you to do for him. You are his method. As he told Jeremiah, " You are my war club, my weapon for battle-- with you I shatter nations, with you I destroy kingdoms" ( Jer 51:20). And as Jesus told his disciples before he left, "You shall be my witnesses...to the ends of the earth (Acts 1:8)

So, as you go about your duties today, keep it at the forefront of your mind that you are God's method. You are his instrument of peace and justice. You are his representative and partner; his ambassador and change agent. Let him use you as he chooses today and always.

Decision of the day

I understand that men are God's method. Without God I cannot, but without him he will not. I yield myself to him today and always to use me as he chooses.

No comments:

Post a Comment