Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Something is Scheduled for You Today!

After the death of Moses the Lord ’s servant, the Lord spoke to Joshua son of Nun, Moses’ assistant. He said, “Moses my servant is dead. Therefore, the time has come for you to lead these people, the Israelites, across the Jordan River into the land I am giving them. (Joshua 1:1, 2 NLT)

“Dear woman, that’s not our problem,” Jesus replied. “My time has not yet come.” (John 2:4 NLT)


Schedules!

From primitive methods like by observing shadows cast by the sun, to the use of the sand clock, to mechanical devices and now digital devices, for thousands of years, humans have kept times and schedules. Somehow instinctively, humans came to know that life is made up of chunks of time beginning at birth and ending at death and that proper measurement and planning would help its maximization. Scheduling appointments and events is now as simple as typing on a digital device and waiting for faithful reminders sang in your favorite tunes.

However today, our subject is not human schedules but God's. A basic search of scriptures reveals a God who schedules events. He does not live in time but he created and uses time. He scheduled the coming of the Messiah eons before it happened. We read of events to come in the future that God has scheduled for a time only he knows. Our texts today suggests another dimension of God's schedules, his planned events for our lives. God told Joshua, " the time has come..." and Jesus had a sense to know that " his time has not come"

What does this mean? When God told Joshua " The time has come..." It is like saying, " Now you have come to the hour, minute and second in your life that I have scheduled for you to step into this leadership position. This is what I have scheduled for you now!". A schedule is "a plan for carrying out a process or procedure, giving lists of intended events and times ". It is " a plan for performing work or achieving an objective, specifying the order and allotted time for each part" God was telling Joshua. This is what I have allotted for you now in my orderly plan for your life.

What does this mean to you? First it lets you know that every day, whether you are aware of it or not, there are divine appointments God has prescheduled for you. Somewhere in God's scheduler, a melodius tune is ringing alerting all of heaven and earth of something that is about to happen to you today. Can you hear the tune? Just as we sometimes don't hear or heed the tunes of our schedulers and instead do something else, it is possible to miss the tune of God's scheduler and instead go about your own agenda and plans. That is why you must be sensitive to the Holy Spirit, maintaining a soft pliable heart that is responsive to his timing.

That is why the Holy Spirit says, “Today when you hear his voice, don’t harden your hearts as Israel did when they rebelled, when they tested me in the wilderness. There your ancestors tested and tried my patience, even though they saw my miracles for forty years. So I was angry with them, and I said, ‘Their hearts always turn away from me. They refuse to do what I tell them.’ So in my anger I took an oath: ‘They will never enter my place of rest.’” Be careful then, dear brothers and sisters. Make sure that your own hearts are not evil and unbelieving, turning you away from the living God. (Hebrews 3:7-12 NLT)

They refused to move in God's timing and they suffered of it. God has a time for every event he has scheduled for your life. Your whole life is a page in his planner. You are not always ready for the biggest things he shows you, just as Joshua was not yet ready until Moses departed, but you can rejoice in the fact that there is something scheduled for today. Something awesome is ripe in time for you. As you are faithful in keeping today's schedule, the big appointments become inevitable. If you neglect today's appointments, then you run the risk of missing the coming ones. So decide today to be sensitive to the Spirit ; to keep every appointment he orchestrates. Living with such expectations will keep your life filled with God moments.


Decision of the Day

I choose to be aware of God's scheduled appointments for me today. Something is ripe in time for me. I will keep my appointments with destiny daily and watch God's preplanned events for my life unfold.

1 comment: