Thursday, April 21, 2011

April 21: Wrestling with God

"Now when He saw that He did not prevail against him, He touched the socket of his hip; and the socket of Jacob’s hip was out of joint as He wrestled with him. And He said, “Let Me go, for the day breaks.” But he said, “I will not let You go unless You bless me!” So He said to him, “What is your name?” He said, “Jacob.” And He said, “Your name shall no longer be called Jacob, but Israel; for you have struggled with God and with men, and have prevailed.”So Jacob called the name of the place Peniel: “For I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved.” (Genesis 32:25-30)

We know of worshipping God. It is comfortable to think of praising God. We are familiar with humbly beseeching God. But to wrestle with Him. That sounds a little weird. Yet that's what our text says Jacob did. He had a wrestling match with God all night and won. Granted, He wan't wrestling with God per se. He was wrestling with with an angel who was on a tag team with God. You remember those tag team wrestling matches. When you wrestle with your opponent's team mate, you are wrestling with your opponent and if you prevail before the opponent could touch his partner, you won them both.

A wrestling  match is always about something. For example,  a contest for a prize, a score to settle, or a prearranged fight for entertainment.  This was no entertainment. No one was there to watch.  Jacob had a goal. He was going to hang on to the angel until something changes in his life. He was willing to fight for it. He was ready to lose his sleep over it. He was ready to hang on even if the fight extended for days. He had made up His mind. His reasoning must have been something like this, "If I can't find my answer with God, where else could I go? Who else could I ask? Now that I have an opportunity to have His presence, to see Him face to face, I won't let go until He changes me"  

Jacob once again demonstrated the intense hunger that pleases and moves God. He first demonstrated it from the womb, struggling with his twin brother, then when he was born, holding to his brother's legs. Then later, in obtaining the blessing and in working to marry Rachel. This man's intensity and hunger pushed him beyond limits and helped him lay hold on God's plans for him.

There are times in life when you must demonstrate this type of desperation for God. Times when you will separate from everyone to seek His face. Times when you set your goal and let Him know, that except things change, you are not leaving His presence. It may take a whole night. It may take weeks, months or years but you relentlessly appear in His presence with the same cry in your heart. God honors such persistence with His blessing.

You too can prevail with God and then with men. Set yourself to seek Him with no intention of quitting until your change comes. God will come through for you.

Decision of the Day

I understand that there are times when I must separate myself and seek God consistently with no intention of quitting until the circumstances of my life change or until something changes in my character. I will be sensitive to God to recognize these seasons. I will respond by praying until something happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment