Saturday, May 14, 2011

May 13: A Door to the Heart

"...Now Joseph was well-built and handsome, and after a while his master's wife took notice of Joseph and said, "Come to bed with me!"

Doors are part of our daily existence. We lock them to keep unwanted people out and open them to let welcomed people in. With doors we protect the precious treasures in our houses or cars. Now we even add extra layers of security to alert us or the authorities if they are opened by the wrong people. 

There are however other doors in your life. Doors that open and shut to receive or reject what seeks to enter into your heart. There are two doors to your heart. Your eyes and ears. The opening and closing of them protects or exposes the heart. Today, our focus is the eye. 

Potiphar's wife took notice of Joseph and from then the process of lust began. She set her eyes on him and lust was triggered in her heart. Sin usually starts with the eye. Think of the temptations that have come into your life as a result of something you saw or noticed: a movie scene, a picture, a certain person or situation your eyes happened to catch notice of.  Your eyes snaps the picture as the efficient camera it is. It then passes it to the mind which faithfully begins to process the picture in the imagination, and if nothing is done, what you see becomes a reality in your life.

This was what happened to David. "One evening David got up from his bed and walked around on the roof of the palace. From the roof he saw a woman bathing. The woman was very beautiful, and David sent someone to find out about her. The man said, "She is Bathsheba, the daughter of Eliam and the wife of Uriah the Hittite...Then David sent messengers to get her. She came to him, and he slept with her...Then she went back home.The woman conceived and sent word to David, saying, "I am pregnant." ( 2 Samuel 11:2-5) 

What began with David's eyes, led to lust, adultery, murder and eventually chaos in David's family and kingdom. 

Knowing the working of the eye, you ought to use it with caution. It must be trained and made to avoid scenes that could trigger sin. It must be trained to gaze on things that can enhance your life. It must learn to gaze on pure beauty, excellence, virtue, inspiring and godly things. It must be trained to turn from sight that seed the sinful nature to the ones that brings the best out of you.

We should imitate Job who said, "I made a covenant with my eyes not to look lustfully at a young woman." (Job 31:1).That was a wise choice. David probably learned his lesson when he said, "I will not look with approval on anything that is vile. I hate what faithless people do; I will have no part in it." (Psalm 101:3).

Have your eyes been tripping you lately? Has this door of your heart been left ajar to let in anything and anyone? It is time to guard your heart and your life by closing the door. Let your eyes be single and fill your body with light. Let your eyes look straight on without wandering. Clean your house of offensive sights. Turn off the T.V shows that impassion you wrongly. Take a walk and take in the beauty of nature. Watch things that inspire you to excellence. Keep your heart with diligence. Always remember the exhortation, "Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it...Let your eyes look straight ahead; fix your gaze directly before you." (Proverbs 4:23,25)


Decision of the Day

I will watch the seeds planted in my heart through my eyes.  I will guard my heart and my life by being discriminative in what I watch. If my eyes catch the wrong things, I will immediately adjust my gaze. I will feed my eyes with godly and excellent things.

No comments:

Post a Comment