Thursday, March 31, 2011

March 31: Digging the Wells of Your Past Walk with God

"Isaac reopened the wells that had been dug in the time of his father Abraham, which the Philistines had stopped up after Abraham died, and he gave them the same names his father had given them." (Gen 26:18)

For several years I have kept journals in which I recorded dealings of God with me: words He's inspired, prophecies spoken over me, words of wisdom from mentors and fathers, prayer goals and answers, testimonies and other important spiritual milestones. Recently, while I was fighting discouragement over an issue,  I picked up one of the journals dating back several years and began rereading it. It did not take too long reading through before I was overflowing with encouragement and joy. I was reminded of words God had spoken to me in the past and I saw how they were fulfilled. I also saw promises from God that were still pending fulfillment.  I read past prayer desires that looked impossible then but which have been answered. I became so full of the Spirit and inspired to move on in the Lord. It was like the reopening of a clogged well. 

Yesterday, we applied our text to rekindling spiritual truths that God had brought to His body, the church at large. Today we will apply it to your personal life. If you have walked with God for a while, you will have had some dealings with Him. He would have spoken to you in your bible studies, in messages you hear, prophecies from others, counsel from mentors, books you read and other means. Those dealings of God are like spiritual wells of nourishment. They are meant to enrich and refresh your life. However as time passes, it is very easy to forget those words and rather get entangled in the battles of today. 

Words from God that have been forgotten are like clogged spiritual wells. They've been clogged with the passage of time, clogged with forgetfulness. But the words of God are eternal. They are incorruptible seeds.  What He has spoken to you before still stands today and sometimes you need to go back and reopening the wells again. You need to remind yourself of what He said to you. Forgetting is a weakness of every human. God through Moses gave several instructions to the children of Israel. Later He had to repeat the same instructions to them in the book of Deuteronomy, which means "a second reminder of the law," yet they still forgot.   You will be amazed at how much of God's simple dealings and words over your life that you have forgotten and how encouraging it will be to you to be reacquainted with the chronicles of your past walk with God. 

So wherever you are today, I encourage you to go back and pick up your past journals and notes. Obey the instructions to not forget His benefits, His word and faithfulness over you life. David did this when he faced Goliath. He reminded himself of how God had helped him in the past to kill the bear and the lion to protect his fathers sheep. He became so inspired that He ran toward Goliath and killed him. 

So, remind yourself of what He has said to you. Remember what he has done for you. Reminisce about where He has brought you from. Dig those clogged wells again. Reawaken those past prophecies over your life and wage a good warfare with them now. If you are not in the habit of journaling, begin now to so.  It will be one of the most fulfilling exercises you would ever do. 


Decision of the Day

I know that the past dealings of God in my life are like wells of spiritual refreshment. I will reopen those wells by reminding myself of what He has spoken and done. I also will make journalling a habit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment